Monday 7 August 2017

Knowledge of Sins Past - Lexie Conyngham

Murray of Letho book two


Scotland at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Scoggie Castle is cold and grim, but a refuge to the disinherited Charles Murray. Then a series of mysterious deaths shakes family and servants alike, and splits the local village in two. Murray is thrown once more into the midst of murder, but who has the answer in this dark rural landscape - the pig-lovers or the pig-haters? 

My Review

I'm fast becoming a big fan of the Murray of Letho series. This is the third book that I've read, having started with the most recent installment; Thicker than Water. I enjoyed that so much that I decided to go back to the beginning of the series and read them all. 

In many ways, Knowledge of Sins Past is quite different to most murder mystery novels. The first half of the book is concerned with the setting of the scene, there is plenty going on and a number of mysteries start to emerge. In all honesty, I'd almost forgotten that this was a murder mystery, by the time that I reached that element of the story. Although it's much slower moving than some other books in the genre, the depth of the characters and the story lines, mean that it doesn't really matter. The historical setting is so finely painted, that you feel as if you are actually there.

Murray himself is very likeable. A young man, trying to find his place in life, having upset his father. He now exists in that twilight zone somewhere between the servants and the family, not really fitting into either. Having read the latest book, I do have some idea of where his life is going, but I'm looking forward to reading about it in future books.

I really enjoyed this book and I'll be reading the third in the series soon. I'd really recommend the Murray of Letho books.

No comments:

Post a Comment