Friday 2 December 2016

Christmas at the Contraband Cafe - Liberty Bell and Scarlett Brodie

Christmas at the Contraband Cafe


Christmas at the Contraband Cafe

Chloe Charlesworth has had the week from hell. Not only did she have her dream job as a fashion journalist, snatched away from her, then her aunt breaks her leg. So, Chloe leaves London on a mercy dash to Rum Cove in North Yorkshire to help run her aunt’s businesses, the Contraband Café and trekking centre. Chloe imagines she will be simply popping in to check that her aunt has the right help, but when she accidentally poisons her aunt’s horses and argues with the local vet, she feels obligated to help out with the numerous Rum Cove’s Christmas events, which all centre around the Contraband Café. But, Chloe is desperate to get back to London, move in with her boyfriend, Marcus, and find another journalist’s job, the only trouble being that he doesn’t seem too keen on the idea.
Rum Cove, an old fishing village, is undeniably beautiful and the locals very friendly, except for the local vet Luke, who is appallingly rude and arrogant. Thankfully Marcus decides to visit and Chloe soon realises that she has some serious decisions to make. A sparkling, Christmas romance.

My Review

I always love finding a new book by a British author (or in this case authors). Finding a book that was set in an area that I know, was an extra bonus. My grandparents lived in Bridington, so the North Yorkshire coast is an area that I'm familiar with, although it's been years since I was last there or in Whitby.

I have to admit that when the book began I didn't really warm to Chloe, she was silly, self centred and rather vacuous. Fortunately she improved once she had left her job in London, although it wasn't an overnight transformation. Once at her aunt's house she made became the city girl in the countryside, fish out of water and made one or two mistakes. Things were quickly rectified and Chloe began to fall in love with the cafe and the village.

Overall I enjoyed this book. There were a couple of things that I wasn't totally sold on. The actions of the villain in the piece were a little rushed and I didn't really understand why he'd done what he did. My other slight problem was that there's a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of the story. I want to know what's going to happen next, but I'll have to wait for the next book. The event that lead up to this cliff hanger are possibly a little bit (in my opinion) out of character for the hero, but I suppose that will depend on what happens next.

If you're looking for a fun, quick and lighthearted romantic read, then I don't think that you can go far wrong with Christmas at the Contraband Cafe. Just be aware, that you're probably going to be left wanting to know what happens in the next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment