Tuesday 26 November 2013

No regrets

Recently on facebook, a friend had posted a link to an article that discussed the most common regrets of those in palliative care in Australia.   It was an interesting list, and made me think about what I would be likely to regret, and what I maybe need to think about so that I don't.  It's not quite a New Years resolution list, as it's not yet New Year, but I thought it was worth giving these things a try.

1. Spend an hour a day with the kids. 

I spend most, if not all of the day with at least one of my children.  In fact, as we co-sleep, I spend nearly 24 hours a day with Anja, and I do play with all of them, but so often I have other things to do too.  They grow up so very quickly, and it won't be long until they're really not that interested in spending time with me, so while they want to, I'll make the most of it, even if means that other things don't always get done.
So, for at least an hour every day, I'm going to make sure that one of them has my undivided attention, and that we do something together.

2. Actually try following my dreams.

For as I can remember, I've been going to write a book.  I've started a couple of times, but other things always seem to get in the way.  I can make all the excuses in the world, and if I do write one, there's no saying that it will be any good, but I think that if I don't at least try, I'll regret not giving it a go.

3. Worry less about the things that don't matter.

If you think about the things that cause you stress, or that you worry about, really, when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter.  Yes it would be nice to be able to afford this and that, but it's what you do that you usually remember, not what you have.  
I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper, and I'm sure that I could do a lot better, but as I can guarantee that one thing I'm not going to be thinking when I'm old is "I wish I'd done more housework" I'm not going to worry about that either.

4. Be silly every day.

This one isn't too hard, I do this quite a bit anyway.  But making the kids laugh, being happy and singing and dancing as you cook tea are all really important, so I'll just make sure I do them all the more.  Every day should have at least one laugh.

5. Stop putting things off.

There are lots of little jobs that I need to do, but don't get around to.  Then there are the bigger things that I think I'll do eventually.  From now on I'm going to try to do the things that I need to, and if I'm trying to put them off, to decide if they are really important or not, and then either forget them completely, or just do them.  Procrastinating doesn't help anyone.

I'm sure that there are a hundred and one things that I could add to this, and I probably will at some point.  But for now, here's my list.  What would  you put on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment